By Liz Hensler
Each week, we post a compilation of articles, publications, videos, podcasts, events etc. we’ve learned from across the web. This week, we’ve compiled resources to learn more about the current conversations, critiques and debates about freedom of the press.
- Freedom of the Press, Background (History.com)
- 2020 World Press Freedom Index (Reporters Without Borders)
- 5 charts on views of press freedom around the world, Aidan Connaughton (Pew Research Center)
- One Free Press Coalition’s ’10 Most Urgent’ List, September 2020, Yahoo News Staff (Yahoo News)
- Why a Free Press Matters, Dan Rather (The Atlantic)
- How the Free Press Worldwide is Under Threat, Gill Phillips (The Guardian)
- Building Support for Press Freedom, Jenn Topper and Amelia Nitz (Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press)
- The Trump Administration and the Media, Leonard Downie, Jr. (Committee to Protect Journalists)
- Journalism Without Fear: Despite Threats to Press Freedom, Hope Remains, Evelyn Mateos (E&P)
- The Legal System Should Not Be a Tool for Bullies, The Editorial Board (The New York Times)
- Four press freedom trends to watch amid Belarus’s antigovernment protests, Gulnoza Said (Committee to Protect Journalists)
- Freedom of the Press: Challenges to this Pillar of Democracy, Stephen J. Wermiel (American Bar Association)
- The Cost of Reporting While Female, Anne Helen Petersen (Columbia Journalism Review)
- Why Does the NYPD Want to Punish Journalists?, The Editorial Board (The New York Times)
Watch and Listen:
- Freedom of the Press: Crash Course (PBS Digital Studios)
- Journalism & the Pandemic: Threats to Media Freedom & Safety During COVID-19, Webinar (International Center for Journalists)
- SLAPP Suits, John Oliver (Last Week Tonight with John Oliver)
- Policing the Press: A Journalist On the Front Lines, Podcast (ACLU)
- COVID-19 Crisis Threatens Freedom Of The Press, Radio Segment (WBUR)
Want the Weekly Resource Round Up in your inbox?
Liz Hensler, MPA (she/her/hers) is the founder of Do Good, Better. She works in philanthropy in the humanitarian aid sector and has a background in NGO program management, corporate and community engagement, volunteer management, and communications. She is based in Brooklyn, NY.